I have decided to take the plunge and start going to see a naturopathic/holistic doctor. The downside is that the insurance company does not cover the visits so I have to pay out of pocket. The first visit is 150 dollar for a minute 90 bsession plus the additional cost of the supplements (which was another 100 dollars but well worth it).
I am going to discuss the first visit in this blog. In later blogs- I will write about the updates.
So in preparation for my visit I had to track three days of everything I ate and drank. In addition, I brought a list and the medications I am taking. During the 90 minutes session, the doctor asks me about all my symptoms from head to toe as well as family history. In brief- we reviewed that my mom has issues with her thyroid, my dad has psoriasis. My symptoms included headaches, rashes on rear and legs, extreme fatigue, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea (a lot), and decreased appetite. In addition, I am under weight and my job requires me to be physically active as well. Also, I have GERD but what is called silent GERD so I don’t feel the pain of the acid coming back up. The acid is also ruining my teeth causing huge cavities! (Finally an explanation for my dental problems!)
. pictures of the rash of my legs prior to starting.
*THe other rash is on my rear, lol.
Current medications: Cimzia, 6 mp – 100 mg, and paxil 20 mg.
The interesting fact that I learned is that 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and 10% the brain. So it explains why my anxiety and depression have gotten increasing worse as my disease progressed.
We also reviewed that I have had 2 Ft of my colon removed including my appendix and gallbladder removed. Both the appendix and gallbladder are IMPORTANT for the immune system.
No surprise that my eating habits sucked. I was eating foods that were highly acidic and not helping me one bit. Also, my diet was lacking PROTEIN! With that said, she put me on a gluten free, dairy free, and low fiber diet. (not everyone with Crohn’s disease will be on a gluten free diet – that is patient specific.)
In brief-I can eat/drink:
- fruits without seeds and skins
- Turkey deli meat
- Coconut milk or almond milk
- Yogurt made with coconut or almond milk
- Gluten free noodles are okay
- Soy butter
- FISH (easy to digest and anti-inflammatory- but need to watch out for mercury levels- if interested I PM me and I can email you the list of good and bad fish! )
- Nut butters excluding peanut butter bc there is a mold associated with it
- Refried black beans
- Skinless chicken
- Dark meat for Thanksgiving turkey
- Use brown rice protein powder in smoothies – whey powder has dairy
- Blended bean soup- ex. Blend a lentil soup.
- Gluten -free bread- UDI’s – frozen aisle
- Amy’s gluten and diary free: mac and cheese – frozen aisle
- Rice dream milk products
- Rice chex gluten free
- Rice crackers – gluten free
**The idea is that I need to eat things easy to digest to let my insides heal. **
Key words that will indicated wheat is present:
- Wheat germ
- wheat bran
- Wheat starch
- Modified food starch
- vegetable starch
- Vegetable gum
Key words that indicate presence of dairy:
- Sodium caseinate
- Non- fat milk solids
- Calcium caseinate
Things that contribute to GERD:
- Black tea
- Spicy food
- Fried food
- Tomato product 😦
The supplements she suggested include:
- HMF (probiotic)
- Saccharomyces boulardii- also probiotic
- Slippery elm- 1 TBSP with 1 quart of boiled water- blend to mix. Water must be boiled to mix! May add herbal tea. This will act as mucous membrane in colon and stimulate mucous production as well!
- Glutamine – to assist with Red blood cells and healing
- DOSING WILL BE DEPENDANT ON PERSON! *****
For next 4 wk I track symptoms and BMs as well as everything I eat. I am to fax them to her every week and she will call me if I eat anything questionable.
So far things have been going well with a few bumps in the road. More about that in later blogs. If interested in inquiring more information about the holistic changes I am learning to help with symptoms of Cohen’s disease leave me a comment or PM me!!!
As always thanks for reading!